This event is a collaboration between SJRAS and WheatonArts. As part of the “WheatonArts Family Days! Presented by PNC Arts Alive!“ program this day includes access to the Museum of American Glass, Artist Studios, & Museum Stores!
This FREE Family Day event brings pet owners and their dogs on site for a day of art and fun. Pet food donations for the Shelter are welcome & encouraged. Click Here for the Pet Food Donation Wish List.
For pet safety, all dogs are required to be on a short, no longer than four-foot, lead. No retractable leashes. Dogs are permitted on the grounds and in the Artist Studios during the event. The SJRAS will provide leash checks at the gate and dog sitters outside of the Museum of American Glass, Museum Stores, and Education Studio. Water stations for dogs will be located throughout the grounds. See a WheatonArts or SJRAS associate for pet waste bags. Thank you!
Are you a vendor of pet-related, household or hand-made items?
With an average annual attendance of 1,500 people and their pets, we'd love to have you be a part of this event. Interested?
2019 PAWS for Art Highlights Include:
Presented in collaboration with the City of Millville’s Recreation Department – Trophies will be awarded in both Adult and Children’s classes for each of the following categories:
- Best Dressed Pet – Dress your pet up in their favorite costume!
- Best Golden Oldie – Show off your senior pet!
- Cutest Wiggle & Wag – Wow the crowd with your pet’s happiest moves!
- Wettest Kiss – Win over the judges with your pet’s sloppiest kisses!
- Prettiest Eyes – Show us your pet’s beautiful eyes!
- Crazy Hair Day (Dog & Owner) – Don’t be shy! Show us your & your pet’s wackiest hairdo!
- Best Six Legs (Dog & Owner) – Socks, shoes, & leggings, oh my! – Team up with your pet & show us your best six legs!
“Top Show Dog” awards will be given for Best in Show, Top Dog, & Sportsmanship. Winners of these three categories each received a glass trophy created by WheatonArts Glass Studio artists! Additional trophies are stoneware pet bowls handcrafted by the WheatonArts resident and associate potters.
FREE Family Art Activities, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
Located to the left of the General Store
- Toilet Paper Roll Cat Balls – A safer alternative to the traditional yarn ball, these toilet paper roll cat balls are easy to make and are not a choking hazard to your favorite feline friend.
- Dog Tug Toys – Join us as we upcycle old clothes into tug toys your dog will love. We will us long strips of fabric to create sturdy braids to use in games of fetch or tug-of-war.
- Animal Collage – Create a multi-media animal-collage using a variety of papers including construction paper, magazines, newspaper, and scrapbook paper. Begin your college with one of our contour line animal drawings and fill it in with your unique collage elements.
Stop by the Ceramics Studio with your pup to create a unique commemorative piece. A Studio Assistant will help you press your pup’s paw into a clay disk. Paw prints will be bisque fired and available for pick up approximately six weeks after the event. All particpants will receive a come-back pass to pick up their piece!
Stick around and interact with the WheatonArts’ resident and volunteer artists in the Ceramic & Flamework Studio! Watch live demonstrations and ask questions about their creative process. This building is pup-friendly!
The Glass Studio, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Watch live demonstrations and interact with the artists throughout the day. This building is pup-friendly!
Glass Bubble Blowing, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. – Experience what it feels like to Blow a Glass Bubble! During this quick walk-in experience, a glass blower will bring you a small gather of glass on a blowpipe. They will then instruct you how to position your mouth on the pipe and how to force air down the pipe, thereby expanding the glass. Blow until your bubble pops! A physical piece will NOT be kept at the end. This experience is FREE and open to the public.
Large Glass Dog Bone Demonstration, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. – The WheatonArts Glassblowers will be demonstrating how the glass dog bone trophies are made. This narrated demonstration is accompanied by a special glass dog bone giveaway! Be sure to be in the Studio at 2 p.m. when the winner is announced! Door prize forms will be collected up until the end of the demonstration. Must be present to win.
Nature Trail, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Calling All Rockers! Thanks to our creative volunteers and community rockers, The WheatonArts Nature Trail Entrance and surrounding areas will be “planted” with over 150 beautifully painted rocks! Share your treasures on social media with #WheatonArts and tag the WheatonsArts Facebook Page. Interested in donating to the hunt? Pre-painted rocks can be donated to the WheatonArts Administration Building or SJRAS up to Friday, September 6.